Search Engine Optimization is a never ending cycle which every company having a website should perform, in order to maintain and improve their rank on search engines.
What is Search Engine?
- Search Engine is basically used on internet to find out answers of any query from any knowledge area and from any location. To do this Search Engine does two things. 1). CRAWLING. 2). BUILDING.
Let’s, peep inside search engine working and let’s try to find out why optimization is necessary.
Search Engine Working
- Everything on the internet in linked. Search engine takes advantage of this and start moving from one point and stops whenever it finds a web-page, PDF, JPG or any other file. At the end of this process. Engine has visited all the files and knows the smallest way to reach them. This process is known as CRAWLING.
- Now once they have every piece of information about a topic say “X”. It will rank those websites, webpages or other files and documents having related content as of “X” according to the popularity. As search engine believes that a popular web content hold most relevant piece of information. This is known as BUILDING.
- Now, whenever a query is fired about the topic X or about the topic related to X. Search engine runs its algorithm and rank the pages within seconds and provides the desired answer.
- Search Engine does not understand English or any other human language. SO, the question arises that how it concludes to perfect results? Well, Search Engine uses words to find relevant content.
- For Example: – If you search for “Apple”. The first thing which will appear is that “Apple is a fruit”, “It’s benefit”, “Season” etc. But Later you will find it’s also showing results about the company “APPLE”, Its latest products, its origin, programmes they are executing etc.
So, from this we can conclude that our website should not only have relevant data but it should be ranked as above as possible, to get desired visits, engagements and subscriptions. Well SEO, is a technique to work this out.
4 Step Strategy for Search Engine Optimization
- Various Analysis
- Website Analysis: – Understanding your own website is must before aiming a good rank for it. Website analysis will help you understand the number of viewers visiting your website. Where these users are coming from: – inbound link or search engine. What is the quality of the content on your website and how can you improve it. It helps you to know the volume and quality of the traffic. You can find the impact of your keywords in the ranking you are given and much
- Competitive Analysis: – Keep in mind there are not few in the race of good ranking. So, understand the strategies of your competitors and figure out their strength and weakness. Look their content find out their keywords. See what makes their website hold the rank on different search engines. Use tools like keyword spy.com
- Initial Keyword Nomination: – Ask yourself what will you search for to find your business on website or ask your customers for suggestion. Develop a list of targeted search items and try to use them as your business title, head, url
- Research & Development
- Choose correct word: – Find out most trending synonym for the content’s words use them to upgrade your rank. For, this you can find out words used by your competitors. Check for words that searchers usually misspell, so that they actually hit to your website. But make sure Google autocorrects those word so use misspells wisely.
- Assessment: – To assess your website, find out what is its current ranking. Than after a week or so, again check your ranking. Increase in good traffic, indicates good choice of keywords. Monitor it on equal intervals and maintain an excel sheet to store records.
- Titles: – Give title to every page of your website. You can use combination of most popular keywords and get generate more optimized site for ranking. Title describes what is the theme and content of the page so use it very wisely.
- Develop Sitemaps: – Search Engines like Google and Bing, use sitemaps files to get structure of your website, which can be used while ranking. Here you can tell search engine which of your pages are supposed to be crawled. Moreover you can also organize the pages of your site. This helps search engine to crawl you site smartly. Create both HTML and XML version. An XML sitemap can be easily submitted via. Google and Bing webmaster tools.
- Submit Website to Directories: – Some search marketers submit their wesite to directories of search engine. This directory gets indexed, than a backlink is provided to your website automatically this increase your popularity and increases chances of higher rank. Some search directories are: –
- Some may even use Adsense(google.com/adsense) to get the Google Media bot to visit , this will get your website indexed quickly.
- Measure: – Measure all the work you have done to enhance your website. Whether it’s a change in initial keyword or phrases of title. Whether it’s the inbound and outbound links associated to your website. See the “Before” and “After” effects of the changes. Record them in an excel spreadsheet.
- Maintenance: – As mentioned in at the above of this article. SEO is a continuous evolvement process. Keywords which were once trending may have changed completely so keep track of what can maintain or improve the ranking. A Bad link can impact the whole website. So keep an eye on what links are associated with your website. Remove the irrelevant one.
Hope this article helps you to create a better SEO strategy. Continue reading the next blog On-Page & Off-Page SEO.